Appointments are Required to Apply for a Marriage License
Congratulations on your upcoming marriage! Due to limited staffing, it is required that you make an appointment to apply for your marriage license. Please call our office at (920) 849-1458 to schedule.
- Arrangements must be finalized prior to applying for a license.
- Wedding date
- City, village or township where marriage is taking place
- Name, address, phone number, and e‐mail address of officiant
- Schedule an appointment to apply for your marriage license. You can apply through any county. If you wish to apply through our office, please call (920) 849‐1458.
- Certified birth certificate with a raised seal. A hospital certificate of birth or state Notification of Birth Registration is not acceptable.
- Valid photo ID. If a photo ID is not current/valid, proof of residency is required. A recent piece of mail is acceptable.
- Social Security Number
- Documents from your previous marriage. If previously married, provide proof of how last marriage ended (death certificate; legal annulment; or findings of fact, conclusions of law and judgment of divorce).
- $100 application fee. If qualified to apply for a license less than six days prior to the wedding, a $25 waiver fee will be applied. Approval must be given by the County Clerk.
- Parental Consent Form if under 18 years of age.
Any person who has attained the age of 18 may marry. Persons, 16‐17 years of age, may marry only with the written consent of parents or guardians. Consent forms must be signed in the County Clerk’s Office.
Both parties must apply together in person at the County Clerk’s Office. The application should be made 4‐60 days prior to the marriage date. An appointment is necessary to apply and can be made by calling 920‐849‐1458. The application fee of $100 is payable by cash or check only on the date of the application.
Proof of Age
Both parties are required to provide a certified birth certificate which has a raised seal on it from the State or County where they were born. Hospital souvenir birth certificates and State Notification of Birth Registrations are not acceptable. If born outside the U.S., a Resident Alien Card or passport will be accepted.
Photo ID and Proof of Residency
Both parties must present photo identification (ex: driver’s license, alien card, school ID) and documentation showing a current address (ex: driver’s license, current mail).
Social Security Numbers
Both parties must provide their social security number. It is not necessary for you to bring the card.
When you apply for your marriage license, we will need to know the following information:
- Date of your ceremony
- Location of your ceremony
- Name, address, phone number, and email address of the person performing your ceremony
Divorce Papers/Death Certificates
If either party has been previously married, they just provide a copy of the Divorce Judgment, Legal Annulment Papers or Death Certificate from their LAST marriage. If the last marriage ended in divorce, the divorce must be final for at least 6 months to remarry in Wisconsin.
Documents in another language must have a certified translation. Persons who do not speak and/or understand English must bring an independent interpreter not related to either party when applying for their license.
Couples wishing to be married at the Calumet County Courthouse should contact the Circuit Court at (920) 849‐1465 Ext.3512 prior to applying for the marriage license. The schedule fills up quickly, so our office recommends calling at least one month in advance.
Wedding ceremonies are performed in Courtroom #2 (Room 115) by appointment only.