Public health officers from City of Appleton, City of Menasha, Calumet, Outagamie, and Winnebago County Health Departments have issued a Public Health Emergency COVID-19 Alert. Very high levels of COVID-19 cases are resulting in increased COVID-19 related hospitalizations and deaths. Due to escalation in cases, public health is not able to notify positive cases and their close contacts in a timely manner. This severely limits efforts to contain the virus. Hospitals are enacting emergency plans. Public health implores everyone to take action to stop the uncontrolled community spread.
Take Action Now - Stop the Spread
- Physically distance at least 6 feet from people with whom you do not live.
- Wear a cloth face mask, unless unable to wear one for medical reasons.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water or use hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Indoors, do not gather with people outside of your household.
- Outdoors, limit gatherings to 10 people or fewer, physically distance, and wear face coverings.
- Self-monitor for symptoms of COVID-19 for 14 days after return from travel.
- If symptomatic, call your health care provider, get a test, and stay home while awaiting results.
- Cooperate with public health officials if you have tested positive or are a close contact.
Business, Organizations, and Gatherings
During this very high rate of transmission of COVID-19, we encourage the following strategies as found in the Wisconsin Department of Health Services COVID-19 Data and Mitigation Strategies to Aid Local Communities.
- Businesses and community organizations: Use WEDC Guidelines
- Community Gatherings: Do not hold indoor gatherings. Limit outdoor gatherings to 10 people or fewer; physically distance and wear face coverings.
- Restaurants, Bars: Offer take-out, curbside pick-up, or delivery only. Close indoor bars.
- Salons, Spas, Gyms: Provide minimum operations only.
- Offices, Workplaces: Keep only essential workforce on-site; symptom monitor; use precautions.
- Grocery Stores, Pharmacies: Remain open, with no dine-in, self-service, or customer dispensing.
- Retail: Use mail delivery and curbside pick-up options. Limit the number of patrons who enter.
- Hotels, Lodging: Use strict sanitation protocols.
- Concerts, Festivals, Sporting Events: Do not hold these events at this time.