Responsibilities of County Treasurer
- Receipt all county delinquent and postponed real estate taxes.
- Receipt all first installment real estate taxes for the City of New Holstein.
- Settle tax rolls with townships, villages, cities, vocation and school districts
- Receipt county general revenue and apply to corresponding budgetary accounts.
- Disburse county payroll and accounts payable checks.
- Send delinquent notices and process all properties eligible for tax foreclosure.
- Answer numerous questions regarding real estate taxes.
Responsibilities of Real Property Lister
Property transfers and recordings are one of the most important functions of the Real Property Lister. Each time a property transfers ownership a document called a Transfer Form must be recorded in the Register of Deeds office. This document has a recording jacket and page / image that is listed on the tax bill. After the document has been recorded, the forms are sent to the Treasurer's office so that the tax billing information can be changed.
The Real Property Lister also prepares tax rolls for the municipal assessors of Calumet County. Each municipality contracts their own assessor who places a value for tax billing purposes on each property. The assessor then records these values and submits them to the Property Lister so the property can be tax according to the assessed value. Typically this is done in late February to late May of each year.